According to Cantor higher education continues to talk about race because the failure to discard the legacy of Jim Crow has our nation so segregated that the students do not see themselves as equals.
I agree with Cantor the main reason that race is still such a strong subject in higher education is because students do not consider themselves equals. There’s always a race that believes they are better than others or on a higher level than others. I have seen a few situations where a student has said to another that they were better because of their race. A situation like that proves that they do not see themselves as equals.
I'd argue slightly and point out that she's not only saying students don't see themselves as equals, but that they've never MET and lived as equals before. That's not an absolute, but generally, many young people do not have a whole lot of opportunity to interact with each other across various boundaries of race, class, identity, orientation, etc. Does this perspective change anything for you?
ReplyDelete